The Teletubbies celebrate twenty years!
Can you believe it’s been twenty years since we first saw the Teletubbies appear on our screens?
On 31 March, 1997 the first episode of Teletubbies aired on the BBC in the UK. Since then, Teletubbies has been aired in over 120 countries in 45 different languages, been acclaimed as reaching cult status and received honours such as a BAFTA Award and the Japan Prize Grand Prix, the most prestigious accolade in children’s educational television.
So here are a few fun facts you may not have known about our Teletubbie friends:
- The Teletubbies were originally going to be called the ‘Teleteddies’.
- At 2.41m to the top of his antennae Tinky Winky is the biggest Teletubby. His girth is wider than he is high at 2.51m!
- Nick Kellington who plays Dipsy, also plays Bistan from the rebel alliance in movie blockbuster Star Wars: Rogue One.
- Over 33 million videos and DVDs have sold globally to date. If they were placed end to end they would reach from London to Nairobi.
- After beating hundreds of hopefuls, 18-month old baby Berry from London plays the part of the new Sun Baby and takes over the role made famous by now 21-year-old dance student, Jess Smith.
- There are 20,000 laser-cut, hand-painted flowers and 40,000 real dried flowers on the Teletubbyland replica model which is used to film the new series. The varieties are buttercups, poppies, daisies and cornflowers.
- To date, over 50 million Teletubby soft toys have been sold worldwide.
The Teletubbies know how to throw a party!
Last week the kids and I were lucky enough to celebrate the Teletubbies twentieth anniversary with Tinky Winky, Dipsy, Laa-Laa, and Po. We had so much fun and enjoyed an episode of the Teletubbies, which was all about parties!
And of course there were plenty of hugs…..
Yummy party food for the kids and tasty treats for the mums and dads.
I loved my mocktail (pictured below) which was sprite and beetroot juice!!
But no birthday party is complete without cake!
The new series’ executive producer Maddy Darrall from Darrall Macqueen says:
Catch the latest episodes of the Teletubbies on DVD at leading retailers, via digital download (on iTunes & Google Play) or on ABC KIDS, airing 11.40am on weekends!
Tubby bye bye,
Win this awesome Teletubbies Party Pack! The pack includes everything you’ll need to have your own Teletubbies themed party and a few little extra goodies. The prize pack includes:
- 1 x Dipsy plush face keychain
- 1 x Po small plush toy
- 1 x Favourite Things cardboard book
- 1 x Let’s Go Up and Down cardboard book
- 1 x Teletubbies paper party plates pack
- 1 x Teletubbies paper party cups pack
- 1 x Teletubbies Birthday Bunting
- 1 x Teletubbies Plastic Tablecover
- 1 x Teletubbies Miniture Toy – Po
To enter: Visit me on instagram and look for this post.
Competition ends 10 May 2017. Full T&Cs can be found here.