After my recent health issues I have become more committed to maintaining a healthy diet and lifestyle. I’m not about fitting into a certain diet category because there’s a lot of confusing and conflicting information out there. I’m concentrating on good food choices – reduced sugar intake, smaller portion size and less bad fats so let me introduce my chia pudding recipe!
I’ve never been big on breakfast and usually just have a coffee when I get up. Probably not the best way to start the day depending who you listen to. I needed to find a quick and easy breakfast option that’s not full of sugar like most cereals.
So here is my quick and easy chia pudding recipe.
- 1 tablespoon of black chia seeds
- 1/3 cup of almond milk (I sometimes use coconut milk)
I put the above in a container or jar and mix well. Then put the jar in the fridge overnight and in the morning you should have about a cup of chia pudding. Told you it was easy! Just adjust the amounts to make less or more. I’m not too precise with the measurements so just see what works for you.
I like to add some berries, granola and sometimes some plain Greek yoghurt but it’s really up to you and what you prefer.
A bit about Chia seeds
ting chia seeds offers a wide range of benefits for your overall health and well-being. Here are some key benefits of incorporating chia seeds into your diet:
- Rich in nutrients: Chia seeds are packed with essential nutrients, including fibre, protein, healthy fats (omega-3 fatty acids), calcium, phosphorus, and antioxidants. They provide a concentrated source of nutrients that are beneficial for various bodily functions.
- High in fibre: Chia seeds are an excellent source of dietary fibre. When consumed, they absorb liquid and form a gel-like substance in the stomach, which can help promote feelings of fullness and aid in digestion. Adequate fibre intake is essential for maintaining a healthy digestive system and preventing constipation.
- Promote heart health: Chia seeds contain a good balance of omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which are beneficial for heart health. Omega-3 fatty acids help reduce inflammation, lower blood pressure, and improve cholesterol levels, thus reducing the risk of heart disease.
- Support weight loss: Due to their high fibre and protein content, chia seeds can help with weight management. They can increase satiety, reduce appetite, and prevent overeating. Additionally, the gel-like consistency they form when mixed with liquids can make you feel fuller for longer.
- Blood sugar regulation: Chia seeds have a low glycemic index, meaning they are digested and absorbed slowly, resulting in a gradual rise in blood sugar levels. This can be particularly beneficial for individuals with diabetes or those looking to manage blood sugar levels.
- Boost energy and endurance: The combination of carbohydrates, protein, and healthy fats in chia seeds makes them an excellent source of sustained energy. They are often used by athletes and fitness enthusiasts to enhance performance and endurance during physical activities.
- Improve bone health: Chia seeds are a good source of calcium, magnesium, and phosphorus, all of which are essential for maintaining healthy bones and teeth. Regular consumption of chia seeds can contribute to optimal bone health and reduce the risk of osteoporosis.
- Antioxidant properties: Chia seeds contain antioxidants that help protect the body against free radicals, which can cause cellular damage and contribute to aging and various diseases. Antioxidants also play a role in supporting a healthy immune system.
- Versatile and easy to use: Chia seeds are incredibly versatile and can be easily incorporated into your diet. They can be sprinkled over salads, added to smoothies, used as an egg substitute in baking, or mixed into yogurt or oatmeal for a nutritious boost.
Remember to start with small portions and gradually increase your intake of chia seeds, as they absorb liquids and expand in the stomach. It’s also important to drink an adequate amount of water when consuming chia seeds to prevent any discomfort.
Overall, chia seeds are a nutrient-dense superfood that can provide numerous health benefits when included as part of a balanced diet.
Important: Always consult with your doctor or medical professional when considering any dietary changes.